What the service includes
At Marie Stopes International we offer clients the simplest, safest and most convenient female sterilisation techniques available.
If a patient wishes to avoid a long wait for treatment once she has made her decision, but needs an affordable private option, our service is ideal.
Booking is fast and flexible: appointments are usually available within a few weeks. Generally if the woman prefers the consultation and procedure can take place on the same day.
All clients have a consultation where a full medical history is taken and discussion about the procedure and the clients decision. We do not refuse clients under 25 years but we do advise that they have counselling before proceeding.
- experienced surgeons perform the procedure
- there is a choice of a general anaesthetic or conscious sedation
- tubal ligation is performed by laparoscopy
- the fallopian tubes are sealed by clips
- the procedure takes 15-20 minutes
- most clients are well enough to leave after two to three hours
After the procedure, a nurse is on hand to relieve any discomfort or nausea. Everyone is examined by a doctor and a nurse before being discharged.
Written aftercare information is given to every client and she can call the centre for advice and help at any time.
Marie Stopes International welcomes both private clients and those funded by the NHS where their local primary care trust has a service agreement with us.